ATR Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATR Discussion Forums > Pilot to Pilot - Flying the ATR
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Takeoff data calculation booklet Version2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takeoff data calculation booklet Version2
    Posted: April-14-2005 at 2:46am
Breaking news! Version 2 available!

Hello!

Some of you might remember this thread )Seeking legal advice from developers...). Even though it was taken over by a troll, I managed to get into contact with the nice Mr. Halpern, who after consulting 3rd parties allowed me to publish my "Flight1 ATR72-500 - Takeoff and Landing Data Calculation". The link to the newest version of this file will always be at the bottom of this posting!

Description:

The ATR72-500 manual is well written in most parts, but others are terribly confusing (especially the sections which deal with various V-speeds). After reading through some very helpful forum threads, I compiled all the information into a 31-page booklet which was logically
structured and took the reader through all steps needed to come up with the neccessary bug settings (without needing to browse through 100 pages, back and forward for half an hour). I also took the freedom to borrow all needed diagrams from the orientation manual.

After including the suggested improvements, I decided to start the whole thing from scratch, instead of patching up the existing document. I also finally managed to get hold of the important pages that are missing from the ATR manual! This means that the calculation should now be realistic and complete!

So: If you want to fly the ATR even more realistic and do some proper flight planning, then this is for you.

New in Version 2.0:

* Everything was completely rebuilt from scratch - over 150 working hours were necessary
* The checklist for the Flight1 Atr72-500 was completely overhauled
* 5 colorful designs of the checklist included (most checklists are not only badly written, but also in dull black and white; not this one!)
* Updated the main booklet with incomparably better information and calculations
* Corrected all errors and and bad spelling
* Included hints and tips in the main document, making a tutorial obsolete

Notes:

This is version 2.0 of the document. I did my best to make it free of errors and omissions, but some of you sure will find areas which need improvement. Your feedback is appreciated! Please write it into this thread, so we can discuss is with others!

Download:

Go to the file library at Avsim.com and search for f1atrtldv2_0.zip, or klick the following link:
Flight1 ATR72-500 - Takeoff and Landing Data Calculation v2.0 (Filesize: 2,8MB)

Either left- or right-clicking the link should work. Save the .zip-file to a location of your choice, then extract its contents. The "TaLDC" itself is a .pdf-file, so you will need a software that can open .pdf in order to read it.
Greetings!

Peter
Hans Hartmann View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Hartmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2005 at 3:09am
I just corrected the link. You need to put http:// in front of the URL otherwise it will be interpreted as relative to atr.flight1.net.

Dankeschön
Best regards,
Hans
buffi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2005 at 1:37pm

Hello!

Many thanks for this booklet.

To be honest, I do not know what to do and why. For me some explanations would be very helpful - is that possible? Easiest to understand are examples, given airports and a given situation. And I am interested why doing the single steps. Could you put all this at the end of your booklet?

best regards,
buffi (EDDH)

...excuse my english - feel free to ask what I would like to say...
TKessel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKessel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2005 at 2:11pm
Pete,

Thank you so much!

Ted
musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2005 at 2:51am
Thank you so much for your replies!

I will note all suggestions and include them in the next version of the document. Please keep them coming! I want this to become the ultimate aid in setting up the ATR.
Tien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2005 at 12:32pm

Pete,

Wonderful work! Thank you very much.

Tien  

guitar_player View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitar_player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 11:26am
Great tutorial there. Thanks for all your efforts!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix.
musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 3:35pm
Thank you everybody!

Are there any more suggestions for the next version of this document? Maybe I should include my ATR checklist (which also seemed to earn some appreciation). What do you think?

This weekend I will have some spare time, so I will prepare a minor upgraded version which will also include a mini-tutorial.
Greetings!

Peter
buffi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 4:51pm

Hello Peter,

very good! Looking forward to the tutorial...

best regards,
buffi (EDDH)

...excuse my english - feel free to ask what I would like to say...
artimc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2005 at 12:46am

Originally posted by musicpete musicpete wrote:

Thank you everybody!

Are there any more suggestions for the next version of this document? Maybe I should include my ATR checklist (which also seemed to earn some appreciation). What do you think?

This weekend I will have some spare time, so I will prepare a minor upgraded version which will also include a mini-tutorial.

Thanks so much for this, and yes I'd absolutely love a checklist.

musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 10:15am
Well, it is one week later that promised but most probably this weekend a new version will arive.

I wrote a small tutorial for those of you who were puzzled, included the checklist into the .zip file, fixed some small errors. Right now I am working on formatting the tutorial, so it won't look like crap. Hopefully it will be done in a few days.

p.s.: Typcial case of a premature posting... I am done. You can download it now. Please keep the feedback coming! Feedback is what helped improve this thing.
Greetings!

Peter
Tien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 9:14am

Hi,

In the landing card:"VmLB0 / VmLB15   White Bug". Sould I place white bug on VMLB0 or VMLB15?

Thanks Peter for the tutorial.

Tien

Hans Hartmann View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Hartmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 11:47am
That depends on your flap setting. For flaps 0 use VmLB0, for flaps 15 use VmLB15.
Best regards,
Hans
musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 6:10pm
Thank you Hans! You got it right.

But since you usually take off with flaps 15, you should take VmLB15.
Greetings!

Peter
trinidad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 12:27pm
ATR72-500 data.    Thank you Peter for all your work on the very useful data including the calcs and tutorial.My maths is rusty (never was very good) so your info helps a lot.I am very appreciative of your efforts and no doubt the time.  Trinidad.UK.
Trinidad
musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 9:14am
Thank you guys for looking at this thread, downloading, replying and providing feedback!

When I will receive some useful answers to my other threads, concerning the COG-calculation and other topics, I promise to rework the whole booklet. In my head I have the whole structure already laid out in great detail. It will become much better than the current state. Way more logical and easier.
Greetings!

Peter
Tien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 8:08am

Peter,

I'm looking forward to your new booklet. Thank you very much.

Tien

kamikazeduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamikazeduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 5:18pm

Thank your Peter,

for the Landing Data Calculation. It is very good.

Greetings

Kersten
musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 7:31am
I am really glad, you people enjoy the booklet!

Version 2 is coming along nicely... I managed to get hold of the missing pages from the Operation manual and now finally am able to do the full and correct calculation. Organizing all the data is much work. It will take some weeks to finish it...

On a positive note: I managed to get hold of a friendly programmer, and he will help me create a program (similar to the wonderful "ATR Fuel Planner"), which will calculate everything after you put the neccessary data into it. That will take even longer, though...

UPDATE: I did a few more flights with the improved checklist and the new version of the takeoff/landing calculation. They work like a charm and the resulting V-Speeds are way more realistic than in the 1st version. Now I only need to make the programmer actually start working on the calculation program...

Unfortunately I am no programmer (and have no aspirations to learn it), so I am completely depending on someone who can do it (but only when he wants to)...
Greetings!

Peter
musicpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 11:26pm
The link is online. Enjoy!
Greetings!

Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic