ATR Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATR Discussion Forums > Flight1 ATR General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is the Turn cordinator?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the Turn cordinator?
    Posted: December-03-2004 at 3:45pm

Ho do I made a standard rate turn in the ATR?

hmmm...

guitar_player View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitar_player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2004 at 4:06pm
it's in the bottom  of the PFD frame . It's the "old" style one.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix.
Manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2004 at 10:24pm

I see  the ball ...but where is the Standard rate thingi... Rate of Turn indicator

Hmmmm... or am I blind?

Todd Nicholson View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Nicholson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2004 at 10:46pm

..on the PFD

Regards,
Manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2004 at 10:54pm

You mean where it says... 'S'. If I keep the artificial wing tip on the 'S' ..its a stad rate turn?

bjornhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjornhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2004 at 5:15am

There is no gauge I know of on this panel that tells you when you're in a standard rate turn; the ball on the PFD is of course no help. There is a rule of thumb for standard rate: Take your airspeed, divide it by ten, and add 7, to get your bank angle. For example, at 150 knots indicated airspeed, your bank angle for a standard rate turn would be 22 degrees (15 + 7). However, during instrument flight and as far as I understand it, you're usually supposed to use the angle of bank giving a standard rate turn, or 25 degrees of bank, whichever is less (source: PANS-OPS). So, if your airspeed is 180 knots or above, no need to worry, just use 25 degrees of bank. Maybe that's why there's no standard rate gauge on the panel...

- Björn Hall

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitar_player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2004 at 11:38am
Bjorn that advice is for TAS,
To use with indicated airspeed:
-If indicated airspeed is in MPH, divide airspeed by 10 and add 5 for standard rate turn.
-
If indicated airspeed is in knots, divide airspeed by 10 and add 50% of that value.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix.
bjornhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjornhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 11:44am
Sorry ... and thanks!
- Björn Hall

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitar_player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 12:14pm
The turn coordinator is useless for airliners because most often you will end up with an angle that isn't safe and uncomfortable if you were to follow a turn indicator. It's possible in GA for example because  there's a wide range of airspeed that allows a safe bank for a SRT.
Manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 1:35pm

But...isn't a Turn cordinator a  required instrument for IFR?

Orlaam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2004 at 4:27am
You have to use a turn indicator in this thing too!?  Is it located on the windshield controls like in my truck?  Will it blink the left or right arrow so I know I need to turn it off in case I'm not turning?
EDCS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EDCS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2004 at 4:43am

In my opinion in Germany you need the turn cordinator (in german Wendezeiger) for CVFR license (JAR FCL) , a large step before IFR. Under IFR condition you fly cordinated turns in reference to your charts (in order of speed restriction, bearing to a VOR, intercept course to another VOR, DME Arc.......).

Stefan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitar_player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2004 at 9:29am
I meant to say an SRT indicator not Turn coordinator.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic