ATR Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATR Discussion Forums > Flight1 ATR Technical Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 8 Support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 8 Support
    Posted: October-29-2012 at 3:30pm

Windows 8 Notice

Windows 8 is not yet an officially supported operating system with our titles yet. Some users may have success on some products, and others may not have success.

Over time we will come up with compatibility notes, patches, etc... but do note that FSX/FS9 was not even designed to run on Windows 8, so it is going to take a while to determine how products will work on Windows 8.

We officially say that you should wait before upgrading to Windows 8, and as we get wider user results we can take appropriate action if practical. This means, for example, that some older titles may not be upgraded to work with Windows 8. And if you do update to Windows 8 at this time, some addons from a wide range of addon developers (not just Flight1) would possibly not work.

Jeff Smith - Flight1 Sales / Support
RoteBaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoteBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 9:34pm
FS2004 and all addons except ATR 72 works fine for me in Windows 8 x64. If I can help you to test something I will be glad to help.

Regards.

Mike6800 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike6800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2013 at 5:24am
Hi everybody,
finally got the ATR working on W8/64bit. FS9 and FSX.
On FS9 she installed just fine and runs w/o any Problems.
But in FSX I could load her in Freeflight Screen but as soon as I wanted to start the flight the loading Screen stopped at 3% and was stuck there.
To make it short, I copied the flt1chk3.dll from my FS9 Folder to the FSX Folder and now she flies in FSX too.
I noticed that the FS9 one was from 2004 while the one from FSX Installation was from 2007.
Both wrappers (FS9 and FSX) where fresh Downloads from F1.
I did a flight from KSEA to KGEG and everythimg works like in the good old WinXP times.
I install all F1 Wrappers and run FSX with administer priviliges and also always make shure that all Folders have the same priviliges.
Maybe this helps to make the ATR working on your W8 rig.
Best regards,
Mike.
laurent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 8:34am
Hi,
I just bought a new pc (MSI Z77AG45, i5 3570K, 2x4GB Corsair XMS3, MSI 7870 Twin Frozr OC, SSD 128 GB Barracuda 1TB) with windows 8 (64).
I installed FSX, no problem.
I installed the Flight1 ATR 72 with SP1. I am facing three problems:
- Deformed 2d cockpit (I have a 16/9 screen 1920x1080)
- 10 seconds freezes from time to time (especially at the start and at the end of the flight)
- Systematic crash to desktop if I change my airport or weather after loading the aircraft.
The error message is :

Does anyone have an idea so that I can enjoy this purchase?
Best regards,
Laurent
ubersu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 11:34am
Did you read the first post that says Win8 is not supported?

DJ
laurent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 12:13pm
I thank you for your contribution; it helps a lot.
I just want to be sure that this problem is actually a win8 compatibility problem and not something else that could be fixed (fsx seems to be complex sometimes).
ubersu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 1:13pm
Since Win8 isn't supported there's no way to tell.  If it were Win7 I would tell you that the ATR has no wide screen support and will distort on a widescreen monitor.  I would also tell you to turn UAC off, Defender off, and always run the configuration manager and FSX from the right click "run as administrator".  The error is telling you that the app is stepping on something the system doesn't want touched.  Security has been "enhanced" in Win8 so these things may not be the whole answer...

DJ
trevdb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevdb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 6:48pm
Hi, Thanks Mike
Using FS9's flt1chk3.dll  worked for me too, so far everything seems to work great
Trevor
13ROB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13ROB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2013 at 1:05pm
Every time I have to Use Text-o-Matic I have a different problem. Now I have three (3) aircraft all Black on my ATR 72-500. I have used the existing Aircraft with Templets,Textures With all checkmarks with Start Wizard . The return from Create Aircraft Displays -No check marks in Template.Aircraft Variation and Texture Folder: when I go to ATR The Aircraft is all black. Using Windows XP,FS 2004, ATR's Downloads Text-0- Matic And Fedex Template. What am I doing Wropng?   13ROB rd2a@verizon.net
Caribflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Caribflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 8:11pm
When I bought the ATR, I got it work under Win8 by disabling the Problem Reporting function in the Action Center (not recommended, but it worked) I have not been able to do futher testing of all the functions as I returned the product (Model could use some upgrading).

Overall, great product even after so many years...I am actually having second thoughts about returning it.

Any plans to upgrade the model?
Fortes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fortes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 12:59pm
Bought last night ATR, installed it, however when it opens is all white, panel, outside and inside, my operating system is the win8 64bts.

if someone can give help

Francisco Fortes
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 3:20pm
Hello,

Haven't tested the ATR with Windows 8 yet.  Some people have had success and others have not.  Results will vary.  No plans for compatiblity patch is planned as it is an older aircraft and the dev team is no longer assembled.
Denis ACF01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis ACF01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 6:45am
Bonjour, avant de le désinstallé de FSX pour P3D j'avais eu se problème donc j'ai chercher et j'ai supprimer du dossier FSX le fichier flt1chk3.dll et mis de cotéClin doeil puis voilà que mon ATR fonctionne très bien et sans beug. Je ne peux vous expilqué pourquoi mais sa fonctionne chez moi.

Bon courageClin doeil

? Hello, before uninstalling FSX to P3D I had problem so I will try and I delete the folder FSX flt1chk3.dll file and put aside and now my ATR works very well and without beug . I can not tell you why but expilqué its working for me.

good luckClin doeil
Josef Messing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josef Messing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 1:30pm
Hello everyone,
where can I find the flt1chk3.dll? I found it only in the FSX Main Folder, Not in the FS9 Main Folder. Can you help me?
Kind regards and thanks
Josef
CeddP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CeddP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2014 at 11:04pm
Hi people,

I just (finally !!) managed to make my ATR work flawlessly with FSX and W8. I used to have a major freezing problem, with random computer freeze that prevented me from using the ATR.

Interestingly, during those freeze, CPU and GPU activity were almost 0 whereas lots of data were written on the hard drive. Those were in fact false crash reports written by wermgr.exe
To disable it, as Caribflyer said, you need to go to the action center and change parameters.
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/windows-problem-reporting-wermgrexe-can-cause-performance-network-issues/

Now my ATR works perfectly ! Hope it will help some of you.

Cheers,

Cedric
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2014 at 4:19pm
Hello CeddP,

Glad you have it up and running in Windows 8.  Thanks for the feedback to help others who might have issues.  Have fun!
mrbutt89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbutt89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 4:10am
We've got a brand new, high spec Windows 8.1 machine running fs9.
Selecting the ATR would cause a CTD until I installed the fs9.1 no-cd patch from here.
I'd installed it to resolve a problem with the Quality Wings Avroliner, but it seems to work for the Flight1 ATR too.
mrbutt89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrbutt89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 9:05am
Two successful installations of the ATR into fs9 on Windows 8.1

Having now installed the ATR into fs9 on two different Windows 8.1 machines, I thought it might be useful to share exactly what I've done, so that others who are having problems can try the same approach. (Who knows, it might work for FSX too. I haven't tried, as I like all the airport add-ons I have for fs9.) None of the advice below originates from me - it's been gleaned from various forums, and the credit must go to those other people.

The following steps solved two slightly different problems. On machine 1, the aircraft installed, but until I completed the final two steps below, there were many random and lengthy freezes in flight. On machine 2, opening the 2D cockpit view caused FS9 to hang, and the gauges showed a "missing license" error in the virtual cockpit.

Step 1 - Install the no CD patch.

Step 2 - (Optional) Install the 4Gb patch if you're running fs9 on a 64-bit machine. This enables fs9 to use more than 2Gb of virtual memory, which will improve performance across the board. You can use this patch on FSX too, and I applied it to the ATR 72-500 Configurator as well, just in case.

Step 3 - Restart the computer in Safe mode to install the ATR. To do this in Windows 8.1, open the Start screen, click the power icon, then Shift+click Restart>...Please wait...>click Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Start-up Settings. When the computer reboots, you'll eventually be shown a numbered list of start-up options. Choose 4 for safe mode. Then sign in and install the ATR.

Step 4 - Once you've installed the ATR, restart the computer normally and you'll be back into normal mode.

Step 5 - Find your fs9 application (executable) file and right-click. Select Properties from the bottom of the menu and open the compatability tab. Tick the options to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:.. Windows 7" and "Run this program as an administrator". (You have the option to do this for all users.) I'd recommend doing the same for the ATR Configuration Manager too.

Step 6 - Open the Action Center (white flag icon, normally on task bar), and select "Change Action Center settings" from the options on the left. Look down to "Related settings" and select "Problem reporting settings". Now look down the window and select "Select programs to exclude from reporting". Click on "Add..." and then navigate to the application file for fs9 and click on it, then "Open" to add it to the list. I did this for FSX and the ATR Configuration Manager too while I was there.

I know this looks a bit involved, but it's quite straightforward really, and all of the above steps can be reversed. Since doing this I can enjoy flying the ATR once more.

fscats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fscats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Jeff Smith Jeff Smith wrote:

Hello,

Haven't tested the ATR with Windows 8 yet.  Some people have had success and others have not.  Results will vary.  No plans for compatiblity patch is planned as it is an older aircraft and the dev team is no longer assembled.

I would love to see an update to this, as I can not get ATR7, one of my favorite aircrafts to run properly on Windows 8.1 with FSX.

Given that Windows XP is no longer supported, have you considered releasing the code to open source to get it fixed?   I am sure there are some developers out there who are FSX fans who would be willing to take a crack at fixing the code.  Another option is freelance.com, some of the overseas developers on there are insanely cheap (I do not even bother bidding for jobs there). 

wolland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 3:38pm
Hello everyone,

I just purchased the  ATR 72-500 and installed it on FSX, running on Windows 8.1. (64)  (i7 4790K, 8gb RAM, gtx 970...)

I had the same problems mentioned in previous posts so I did what Carybflyer and CeedP  suggested, disabling the Problem Reporting function in the Action Center (many thanks to you guys) and it seems to be working for now. Keep in mind that this was just the first and very short flight with ATR but I hope it wont be the last and that this is going to work until the proper solution/update is found.

Wishing you all many, many smooth and bugless hours!  :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic