ATR Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATR Discussion Forums > Flight1 ATR General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X on Panel Window Switcher

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _MSW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X on Panel Window Switcher
    Posted: February-03-2005 at 9:56am

Can the X on the panel window switcher be changed so that another icon such as for GPS can be used there instead?  I already have the blank spot taken up by WX500 radar and I never use the X to remove the panel so for me that spot is wasted.  For that matter, how can you get GPS to come up at all if you already have Window 8 occupied by WX500 (and thus shift 9 can't be used for both)?

If you do have the Garmin 500 gps as a popup is there anyway to get auto pilot to follow its course rather than the FMC?  I am so used to the Garmin gps that I find the FMC cumbersom and would like to use gps with auto pilot instead.

I also see that in the VC there are several areas next to the FMC that could fit the WX500 or Garmin 500 gps.  It looks like there might be on the actual aircraft, removable panel covers where addition equipment could be installed.  Is this possible on the simulation?

I would appreciate any responses, thanks!

snave View Drop Down

*** BANNED ***

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2005 at 6:27am

The FMC and the autopilot are integrated speicifically to allow the inbuilt GPS to control the aircraft. Once you get used to it you will find that it is LESS cumbersome to create a flightplan in the FMC than the poor representation of a GPS unit that ships with FS. Roughly, I'd say it's between 30 and 50% quicker, and more thorough!

As the autopilot is programmed outside of the standard FS commands specifically to accommodate the features and requirements of the FMC there is no way to get the default GPS to fly the aircraft. This has been asked before.

Some ATR's are delivered without the FMC, as it is a customer option, but given that this bird was sanctioned by ATR themselves, I expect there are very strict limits on what can and can't be modelled, so there's no point asking Flight One to do it! And the panel switcher is not an icon in the same sense that the other switchers are so you'd probably be better off creating a new icon for the default GPS, and attach it to one of the spare spaces on the panel.

_MSW_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _MSW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2005 at 10:55am

Actually, W4094 has described how to install the GPS and use it with the ATR's auto pilot in the GPS thread.  I installed it per his instructions and was able to put in a flight plan on the GPS via FS9's flight planner.  The ATR's auto pilot successfully followed the flight plan on the GPS 500.  The GPS's direct to also worked as well. So it is possible.

I imagine there is probably some way to phsically install the GPS panel next to the FMC (lower left panel blank) within the virtual cockpit but I don't know how yet.

I know the FMC works good when used correctly but because I am so familiar with GPSs, I prefer GPSs.  Now that I can use the GPS, I love this aircraft even more!!! 

snave View Drop Down

*** BANNED ***

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2005 at 9:35am
The FMC is a GPS! but pleased you got it sorted.
_MSW_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _MSW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2005 at 10:16am
I know the FMC is a gps but it takes alot of input of information to get it to operate correctly whereas the garmin 500 or other garmin gps takes very little to get going. With the garmin you can simply hit a nearest waypoint, hit direct to and off you go.  It is just alot quicker.  I was finding it was taking me longer to get the FMC going than it was for me to get the plane going.

I did find a way to install the gps on vc.  I just simply substituted fs9gps!gps_500 for vcmcdu in gauge 13 of vcockpit04 of the panel.cfg file.  It must be done for panel options also if you plan to use the configure program.  It looks OK and is operable if you want to do it that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic